1 lb spicy Italian sausage or mild if you prefer
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
6 slices bacon cut into ½ inch pieces, divided
1 medium onion finely chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
4 cups 32 oz chicken stock
4 medium russet potatoes peeled and diced into ¼-inch pieces
6 cups chopped kale
1 cup heavy whipping cream
salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the Italian sausage with red pepper flakes in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Brown it and crumble it as you go, then drain excess fat and remove onto a plate.
- Cook the bacon in the Dutch oven until crispy. Remove onto a plate with the sausage, drain the fat leaving about 1 tablespoon of grease in the Dutch oven.
- Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add the potatoes (if you feel like you need more liquid, add a cup of water – I usually do!), and cook until they’re fork tender (about 12-15 minutes).
- Add chopped kale, the browned sausage and half of the bacon to the pot and bring to a gentle boil (5 minutes until the kale has wilted). Stir in the cream, season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat, and top with the remaining crispy bacon.
This Article And Recipe Adapted From This Site