Sausage Tortellini Soup
1 pound ground sausage, hot or mild
1 small yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon oregano
1 pinch cayenne, optional
1 teaspoon hot sauce
½ teaspoon mustard powder
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 cup heavy cream
5 cups chicken broth
2 cups kale
2 cups refrigerated tortellini, just under 10 oz.
Salt/ to taste
1 pinch red pepper flakes
- Note: The mustard powder and hot sauce are so subtle in this soup but help enhance the other flavors, so although you may be hesitant to add them, I highly recommend it!
- Remove the casings from the sausage if you purchased links. Cook and crumble the sausage and diced onions over medium-high heat until the onions are softened and the sausage is cooked through, 8-10 minutes. Drain grease. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes to remove the raw flour taste.
- Add 1 tsp dried basil, ½ tsp oregano, 1 pinch of cayenne, 1 tsp hot sauce, ½ tsp mustard powder, ¼ tsp pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the chicken broth and use a silicone spatula to “clean” the bottom of the pot. Add the cream. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer.
- Add the kale and tortellini and simmer for 3-5 minutes. (If your tortellini needs longer cooking time, add the tortellini first, then the kale during the last 5 minutes.)
- Taste the soup and add salt if desired. Start with ¼ tsp and add more after that if needed.
- Transfer to serving bowls and top with a pinch of red pepper flakes. Serve with Garlic Bread with Cheese.
This Article And Recipe Adapted From This Site