RED BEANS AND RICE
1 cup basmati rice
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 (12.8-ounce) package smoked andouille sausage, thinly sliced
1 medium sweet onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, salt-free
3 (15-ounce) cans red beans, drained and rinsed
3 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 bay leaf
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- In a large saucepan of 2 cups water, cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Working in batches, add sausage, and cook, stirring frequently, until sausage is lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes; set aside.
- Add onion, bell pepper and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, garlic and Cajun seasoning until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in red beans, chicken stock, hot sauce, bay leaf and sausage; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Uncover; continue to simmer until reduced, an additional 15 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon, mash beans until slightly thickened, if desired; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately, topped with rice and garnished with parsley, if desired.
This Article And Recipe Adapted From This Site