Vegan Lentil Tortilla Soup
1 yellow onion
2 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic
1 jalapeno seeds removed for less spice
1 red bell pepper
2 15 ounce cans fire roasted tomatoes
¾ cup red lentils
1 can black beans drained and rinsed
1 cup corn
⅓ cup cashew cream click for recipe
1 tbsp tomato paste
3 – 4 cups vegetable broth
2 tsp chili powder
2 ½ tsp cumin
1 tbsp brown or coconut sugar
1/2-1 tsp salt
1 tsp oregano
1 tbsp lime juice about 1/2 lime
1 cup tortilla strips
½ cup chopped cilantro
- In a large pot or dutch oven, add the finely diced onion and olive oil. Saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the minced garlic, diced bell pepper, and diced jalapeno. If you want less spice, just remove the seeds from the jalapeno or use less. Saute for about 3 extra minutes, then add in the corn and saute an additional 2 or so minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes to a blender and pulse a few times until they resemble something that looks like salsa. This is optional, but I do suggest it for the best flavor/texture!
- Add to the pot along with all remaining ingredients, aside from the lime juice, we'll add that at the end. I used 3 cups of veggie broth because I wanted this on the thicker side, if you like it more brothy, use 4. If you're not sure, start with 3 and add more at the end if you want to thin it out.
- Stir everything well to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for about 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After about 20 minutes, taste to check to see if the lentils are fully cooked. Let simmer for 5-10 more minutes if they still have a crunch to them.
- Once the lentils are done, transfer 2 cups worth of soup to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer back to the pot and stir to combine. Stir in the lime juice. Taste and adjust flavors as desired, and/or add more broth to thin it out if you like.
- Serve and garnish with tortilla strips (see the body of the post for how to make these homemade!), chopped cilantro, fresh lime juice, avocado and sour cream.
This Article And Recipe Adapted From This Site