ROASTED CARROT SOUP
1.6lb / 750g Carrot, scrubbed & diced
9oz / 250g Swede/Turnip, peeled & diced (see notes)
6 cups / 1.5 litres Vegetable Stock, or as needed
3 tbsp Butter
3 cloves of Garlic, finely diced
2 ribs of Celery, finely diced
1 large Onion, finely diced
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp EACH: Cumin, Ground Coriander
Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
Fresh Thyme, Extra Virgin Olive Oil to serve (see notes)
- Roast: On a large baking tray mix carrot & swede with 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp cumin and ground coriander and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Roast in the oven at 200C/390F for 30mins, or until lightly browned and soft.
- Base: In a large pot over medium heat melt in 3 tbsp butter. Add celery, onion & garlic and fry until they begin to soften and brown.
- Scrape Tray: Add in roasted carrot/swede and add a splash of hot stock to the pan. Use a plastic spatula/turner to scrape off all the flavour and pour into the pot.
- Simmer: Pour in 4 cups/1 litre stock (or enough to cover everything) and bring to a simmer. Pop on the lid and leave simmering on low for as long as you have time for (15mins+).
- Blitz: Take off lid and use a hand blender to blitz into a soup, pouring in more stock to thin out to preference.
- Serve: Season with a hefty pinch of salt and pepper (season well to bring out the best in this simple soup). Serve individual portions with preferred garnish (see notes).
This Article And Recipe Adapted From This Site