For the cake:
2 cups (380g) granulated sugar
½ cup (118 ml) vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon (14.8 ml) vanilla extract
½ cup(118 ml) light sour cream
2 ½ cups (350 g) all-purpose flour
3 teaspoons (11.2 g) baking powder
1 teaspoon (5 g) salt
1 ¼ cups (296 ml) milk (I use nonfat)
For the frosting
3/4 cup ( 170g )unsalted butter, cold
2 1/2cups (325g ) powdered sugar
1 teaspoons (5ml ) pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon (15ml ) heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mix the wet ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, beat together the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla extract until well incorporated. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Add the sour cream beat until well combined.
- Combine the dry ingredients: In a separate bowl combine the remaining dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and salt. Add half the dry ingredients to the batter, and then add half of the milk and mix just until the flour starts to incorporate.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients, and the remaining milk. Beat on low speed until all of the ingredients are well combined. Stir with a spatula to ensure it’s well mixed.
- Pour the batter in a 9-inch by 13-inch pan and bake at 350°F for 28-32 minutes. Test the cake for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake. If the toothpick comes out clean, your cake is done. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely prior to frosting.
- For the Frosting: Cut the butter into pieces. Using the paddle attachment, whip the butter for 5-7 minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally, beating until the butter look light in color.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix on low speed until incorporated into the butter then add the vanilla extract and heavy cream and mix to combine. Beat for about 60 seconds.
- Continuing beating on low until the ingredients start to mix together. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for another 3-5 minutes to whip additional air into the frosting. Spread over cooled cake.
This Article And Recipe Adapted From This Site