King Ranch Chicken Casserole
1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter
1 Cup White Onion, (diced)
3 Large Garlic Cloves, (minced)
5 Cups Chicken, (cooked and chopped)
2 Cups Sour Cream
16 Ounces Salsa Verde, (jarred)
10 Ounces Tomatoes and Green Chiles
4 Ounces Green Chiles
2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin
4 Cups Cheddar Cheese, (shredded)
20 Small Corn Tortillas, (cut into fourths)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly spray a 9 x 13-inch or 3-quart casserole dish with cooking spray, then set aside.
- In a medium skillet, melt the butter over low-medium heat, then add the onions. Cook the onions until they begin to soften, about 3 to 5 minutes, then add the garlic. Cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- In a large bowl, combine the onions, garlic, chopped chicken, sour cream, salsa verde, tomatoes, green chiles, and cumin. Set aside.
- Cut the tortillas into quarters. Spread one fourth of the chicken filling into the bottom of the baking dish. Top with 1 cup of shredded cheese, then place a layer of tortillas over the cheese. It’s okay if the tortillas overlap some. Repeat this process of chicken filling, cheese, and tortillas 2 more times (total of 3 layers) making sure to use all the tortillas. Spread the last of the chicken filling on the top, then top that with the last cup of cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the cheese is melted and the sides are bubbly. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
This Article And Recipe Adapted From This Site