HEALTHY SPAGHETTI WITH FRESH TOMATO SAUCE
8 oz pasta (linguini, spaghetti or angel hair )
½ an onion- diced
8 garlic cloves, rough chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 lbs juicy ripe tomatoes, diced (about 6 cups chopped, save juices)
¼ cup splash vermouth, red wine or white wine
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
15–20 basil leaves, torn, more for garnish
Pptional: fresh grated Pecorino Romano cheese (or Parmesan), or vegan parmesa, or try this Vegan Cheesy Sprinkle
Optional additions: chili flakes, Kalamata olives or capers
- Set a big pot of salted pasta water to boil on high to cook pasta. Cook pasta according to directions on the package.
- Make the Fresh Tomato sauce. In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions, saute 3-4 minutes, until tender. Turn heat to medium. Add the rough chopped garlic. Saute a few minutes until garlic is fragrant and golden. Add the chopped tomatoes and all their juices and seeds. Turn heat up to medium-high.
- Add vermouth or wine, cook this off then bring to a simmer and simmer 5 minutes until tomatoes begin to break down and wine cooks off a bit.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Turn heat to low, simmer on low, covered, until pasta is cooked is ready to add.
- When pasta is cooked to al dente, drain and add it to the fresh tomato sauce, continuing to cook pasta on low for a few minutes in the sauce. Stir in the basil leaves.
- Divide among bowls and top with fresh grated Pecorino cheese and top with fresh basil ribbons.
This Article And Recipe Adapted From This Site