Football Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Blondies
For the Peanut Butter Blondies:
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (do not use the natural kind that must be refrigerated)
1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar, light or dark
1 tablespoon milk
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup peanut butter chips
For the Frosting:
1/3 cup vegetable shortening such as Crisco, softened butter can be swapped but will be very soft and less stable
1 cup powdered sugar sifted
1 teaspoon water
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Food coloring optional if you’d like to make the frosting your team’s colors
- Place a rack in the center of your oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 8x8-inch pan, then line with parchment paper so that some of the paper hangs over the sides like handles. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Add the peanut butter and brown sugar, and stir until the mixture is smooth. Remove the pan from the heat and pour into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Let cool to lukewarm.
- Once the peanut butter mixture is cool, beat in the milk and egg on low speed. Beat in the vanilla and salt. Sprinkle the white whole wheat flour and baking powder over the top, then beat on low just until the flour disappears. Stir in the chocolate and peanut butter chips. The batter will be thick and sticky.
- Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan, then use the back of a rubber spatula to flatten and smooth the top. Bake for 16-18 minutes, just until light golden brown and the top feels barely dry to the touch, being careful not to overbake. Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting: place the shortening in the bottom of a mixing bowl, then sift in the powdered sugar. Add the water and vanilla extract, then beat on low to combine. Increase the speed to medium, then beat for a full 5 minutes. Beat in food coloring as desired.
- Once the blondies are cool, gently lift them onto a cutting board using the parchment paper handles. With a cookie cutter, cut into footballs (or any desired shape), then use the frosting to pipe on the laces design. Let the frosting set, then serve.
This Article And Recipe Adapted From This Site