Dairy Free Swedish Meatballs
For The Meatballs
1 lb Ground Beef 75-85% fat
½ cup White Onion minced
¼ cup Almond Flour
¼ cup Almond Milk
1 tbsp Avocado Oil
½ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Black Pepper
⅛ tsp Ground Nutmeg
For The Sauce
2 tbsp Avocado Oil or ghee if Whole30
2 tbsp Arrowroot Starch
2 tbsp Coconut Aminos
1 tbsp Dijon Mustard coarse grain
2 cups Beef Broth
1 cup Coconut Cream
- To a medium sized bowl whisk together almond flour and almond milk. Let sit for 5 minutes to fully absorb. Whisk in egg, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add ground beef to the bowl along with the minced onion. Mix by hand until ingredients are incorporated without overmixing. Form into 1” meatballs.
- In a large skillet heat 1 tbsp avocado oil over medium high heat then add in the meatballs. Let them cook while occasionally flipping them over to make sure they cook evenly. This should take about 10 minutes or longer depending on the size of the meatball. Remove cooked meatballs from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the ghee or avocado oil to the pan and turn the heat down to medium. Add in the arrowroot starch and whisk together until a paste is formed similar to a roux. Once the paste becomes brown and bubbly, whisk in 2 cups of beef broth slowly to make sure no lumps form. Whisk in coconut aminos and mustard until fully combined.
- Next add 1cup of coconut cream (the cream only) by whisking into the sauce to make it creamy. Turn the heat down to low and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes. Return the meatballs to the pan and coat with the sauce before serving. Sauce will thicken as it cools.
This Article And Recipe Adapted From This Site